Monday, August 10, 2020

Review: JUST Egg

JUST Egg

I
had been craving an egg sandwich for about 6 years, and finally satisfied that craving when I found JUST Egg.

It's surprisingly made from mung beans (full ingredient list below), and looks and tastes a lot like eggs.

As a liquid, it looks exactly like the scrambled egg liquid my school used that comes in big cartons.

This stuck to the pan A LOT when cooking, more than eggs do. (Although the pan wasn't as hard to clean as I expected.) It didn't brown the same way as eggs when they're cooked well done. Otherwise it looked just like scrambled eggs. You might not be able to tell it's vegan.

UPDATE: I saw some other videos using JUST egg where it did not stick to the pan and browned perfectly (vegan version of viral egg sandwich video and vegan ramen). According to some comments on the egg sandwich video, my pan could be the problem and it helps to use extra vegan butter.

JUST Egg cooking in pan

I tried JUST Egg a few different ways: as scrambled eggs by themselves, as a vegan "egg mcmuffin" with Tofurky plant-based deli slices, and in French toast. They all tasted great and had the same texture as the non-vegan version. The French toast was a little messy because it stuck to the pan, so I recommend using extra oil or cooking spray.

I would totally pay to eat these at a restaurant.

Close up of cooked JUST egg


Vegan egg McMuffin with JUST Egg and Tofurky slices


Close up of vegan egg sandwich with JUST Egg and Tofurky slices

JUST Egg ingredients:
Water, mung bean protein isolate, expeller-pressed canola oil, containes less than 2% of dehydrated onion, gellan gum, natural carrot extractives (color), natural flavors, natural turmeric extractives (color), potassium citrate, salt, soy lecithin, sugar, tapioca syrup, tetrasodium pyrophosphate, transglutaminase, nisin (preservative).

JUST Egg ingredients

Review: JUST Egg
First impressions: Reminded me of the scrambled eggs that came in a carton at my school
Taste: Tastes like eggs but a little plain, doesn't have a strong flavor
Texture: Almost identical to scrambled eggs
Can you tell it's vegan? Maybe
Worth buying again? Yes
Overall: 5/5