Saturday, May 9, 2020

Review: Trader Joe's Vegan Kale, Cashew & Basil Pesto

Trader Joes vegan kale, cashew, basil pesto

As usual, Trader Joe's does not disappoint with their vegan options. This vegan pesto sauce might be new. I love that that it's right next to the non-vegan pesto along with the other sauces, and not in a separate vegan section. It also happens to be next to the Zhoug Sauce that I love

Traditional pesto has parmesan cheese, and this has cashew butter instead. It changes the texture a bit and makes it more creamy. It's also not as oily as other pestos. 

Trader Joes vegan pesto

Trader Joe's Vegan Kale, Cashew & Basil Pesto ingredients: 
Kale, olive oil blend (olive oil, extra virgin olive oil), water, basil, cashew butter (dry roasted cashews, safflower oil or sunflower oil), garlic, lemon juice, sea salt, black pepper.

I made this with pasta and like how it turned out. It smelled so good when I stirred it into the pasta. 

You could also use it as a dip or as a spread on sandwiches or pizza. 

I thought it was not quite as good as traditional pesto, but that could be because of the kale. It's good enough that I would eat it again, but not my new favorite.  I'd like to try another vegan pesto with more basil (or try making my own).

Review: Trader Joe's Vegan Kale, Cashew & Basil Pesto
First impressions: Looks creamier than I expected. Lighter in color and less oily than other pestos. 
Taste: A slightly blander version of traditional pesto. 
Texture: Thick and creamy. 
Can you tell it's vegan? Maybe
Worth buying again? Yes, but I want to try other kinds of vegan pesto too. 
Overall: 4/5