Friday, March 15, 2019

Review: Melt Organic Rich & Creamy Plant-Based Butter

Melt Organic Rich & Creamy Butter Made from Plants

I've been using Earth Balance buttery spread as a vegan butter replacement for years. I thought it might be time to give one of their competitors a chance, so I tried some Melt Organic Rich & Creamy Butter Made From Plants

I was off to a rough start from the beginning because I found their packaging to be difficult to open. This doesn't affect the product, but it might have prevented me from buying it more often if I had liked it. 

Melt Organic Rich & Creamy Spread

When it comes to taste, I thought this was ok. It wasn't as buttery tasting to me compared to Earth Balance, and has a more mild flavor overall. Some friends have told me they don't like Earth Balance, so those people might like the more subtle flavor of Melt Organic. 

One major difference is the texture. It was much creamier than Earth Balance and spread very easily, even when cold. It was almost too creamy for butter and reminded me of cream cheese. 

Something unusual happened when I used it to make garlic bread. I put the butter on first and then toasted it, and the butter got bubbly. There were a bunch of tiny bubbles on my toast and it looked like soap. You can kind of see them in the picture below. I don't remember butter doing this.

It tasted fine, but the bubbles threw me off a bit and made me not want to keep eating it. 

Melt Organic Rich & Creamy Butter on toast


Melt Organic Rich & Creamy Ingredients: Expeller-pressed Organic oil blend (Coconut, Sustainable Ethical Palm Fruit, Canola, Hi-Oleic Sunflower, Flaxseed), Water, Sea Salt, Sunflower Lecithin, Natural Flavor, Tocopherols, Organic Annatto Extract Color. 

Review: Melt Organic Rich & Creamy Plant-Based Butter
First impressions: The packaging was hard to open. 
Taste: This has a very mild taste, but some people might notice a hint of a synthetic aftertaste. 
Texture: The texture was very smooth and creamy, almost closer to cream cheese than butter.
Can you tell it's vegan? You can tell something is different. 
Worth buying again? I probably won't finish the container I have. 
Overall: 3/5