Saturday, November 14, 2020

Review: Violife Just Like Cheddar Slices

Violife Just Like Cheddar Slices

Violife is one of the most recommended vegan cheeses I see on vegan food blogs. It's also used by a lot of vegan restaurants. So I thought this would be a good choice to start trying vegan cheese.

First of all I love their packaging. The inside plastic package is resealable and easy to open. It's also labeled, so you still know what it is if you get rid of the paper outside. 

I tried this both cold and melted. When cold, it was easier to tell that it's vegan. The texture is not quite there, but it does look and taste more like dairy cheddar cheese than I expected. 


Violife Just Like Cheddar Slices unwrapped

Next, I tried it on a vegan egg sandwich with JUST egg. I tried melting it from the residual heat of the hot sandwich but that wasn't enough. The edges didn't melt and the texture was slightly gritty.  

Vegan egg sandwich with Violife cheddar slice

I tried again but this time by I put the Violife slice on top of the JUST egg in the pan and covered with a lid. This worked a lot better and it melted all the way. I did get a funny giant bubble though.

Violife Just Like Cheddar Slices melted

Vegan egg sandwich with melted Violife cheddar


Final verdict? Pretty good on a sandwich, but I wouldn't eat it by itself. 

Filtered Water, Coconut Oil, Food Starch-Modified (Potato & Corn), Potato Starch, Salt (Sea Salt), Cheddar Flavor (vegan sources), Olive Extract, Paprika extract & Beta Carotene (Color), Vitamin B12.

Violife Just Like Cheddar Slices ingredients and nutrition facts

Review: 
Violife Just Like Cheddar Slices
First impressions: Looks more like dairy cheddar cheese than I expected
Taste: Similar to cheddar cheese but doesn't have as strong of a flavor
Texture: Takes longer to melt than dairy cheese, but once melted the texture is similar
Can you tell it's vegan? Yes
Better than other vegan options? This is the first one I've tried.
Worth buying again? Maybe
Overall: 4/5