Thursday, November 7, 2019

Review: Trader Joe's Zhoug Sauce

Trader Joe's Zhoug Sauce ingredients

It can be hard to find vegan sauces. There have been so many times where I made a vegan meal and had no problem with the main ingredients, but didn't know what sauce to use. It seems like almost every sauce at restaurants has mayonnaise in it. 

So I'm glad that I tried Zhoug Sauce from Trader Joe's. They call it "a very spicy green herbal sauce with Yemeni roots." It's made from cilantro and jalapeƱos blended with oil and spices. It's an herbs + oil sauce like pesto and chimichurri (both of which I also love), but in my opinion the cilantro and spices in Zhoug Sauce work with a wider range of foods. 

This vegan sauce is so flavorful and you can use it on everything. The different herbs and spices work well with a lot of types of food. So far I've had it with tacos and falafel. It would also be good on sandwiches or as a dip. 

It is very spicy, so only use a little bit at first. Definitely don't eat a big spoonful all at once like I did. 

Zhoug Sauce ingredients: cilantro, canola oil, jalapeƱo peppers, chile flakes, garlic, cardamom, sea salt, cumin seed. 


Trader Joe's Zhoug Sauce

Review: Trader Joe's Zhoug Sauce
First impressions: Woah that is really spicy!
Taste: Bright and flavorful with heat that builds as you eat more. 
Texture: Similar to pesto, you might need to stir to mix in the oil thoroughly. 
Can you tell it's vegan? No
Worth buying again? Yes, this is a staple in my fridge now. 
Overall: 5/5