Saturday, May 11, 2019

Review: Earth Balance European Style Buttery Spread

earth balance european style non-dairy butter alternative

Earth Balance has several varieties of their vegan buttery spread. I've been using the original for years as my go-to vegan butter substitute. I recently tried the European Style and compared it to the original. I'm not sure what specifically makes it European, but overall I did like this better than the original.

The European Style was very similar to the original Earth Balance but a little thicker, creamier, and slightly more yellow. As you can see, they look almost the same.

earth balance vegan butter alternative

I also liked the taste more, but it was a subtle difference. It was closer to a buttery taste. I'd like to compare them for baking too. 

The ingredient list is the same as original Earth Balance, except for a different coloring ingredient. 

Earth Balance European Style Buttery Spread ingredients: Vegetable oil blend (canola, palm, and olive oils), water, salt, pea protein isolate, sunflower lecithin, natural flavor, lactic acid, beta carotene (color). 

earth balance european style vegan butter on toast

Review: Earth Balance European Style Buttery Spread
First impressions: Very similar to original Earth Balance
Taste: Rich and buttery
Texture: Thick and creamy
Can you tell it's vegan? No
Better than other vegan options? Yes, but maybe not enough to pay more for it. It's about the same price but the container is half the size of the other Earth Balance flavors. 
Worth buying again? I would buy it again if it was on sale or I was making something special. 
Overall: 5/5