Monday, January 20, 2014

Easy Spaghetti Sauce


Spaghetti is a classic comfort food, it's always been one of my favorite meals. It was the first dinner I ever made when I first started cooking in middle school. For a while, I used pre-made sauce. My old roommate and unofficial big sister, Maria encouraged me to try making my own. This is her recipe, and it's been a stand by in my repertoire ever since. 


Before I made my own sauce, I wasn't sure if it was worth the time. Let me tell you, it definitely is. Like most food made from scratch, making your own sauce tastes better than store bought. Plus, you have control over what goes in it. 

It takes at least an hour to make, but you can make it ahead of time and freeze or can it. Sometimes I buy the giant can of tomatoes at Costco to make a big batch. Then I freeze it and have sauce for months! 




This is a versatile recipe, feel free to adjust the spices or add different vegetables. If you're a mushroom fan, those would work well here. I use this recipe as a base for other sauces like my red pepper sauce. You can also use it to hide vegetables from picky eaters. Carrots are a great addition, especially if you are blending the sauce. 



Ingredients

  • medium yellow or sweet onion
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
  • salt, pepper, italian seasoning (or fresh herbs like basil if you have them)
  • 1 tbsp sugar to taste (optional)
  • 1 pound of spaghetti


Directions

  1. Saute the onions and garlic with salt in olive oil until the onions are clear, about 10 minutes.
  2. Add tomatoes and seasoning. If you are blending for a smoother sauce, this is a good time to do that.
  3. Simmer for at least 30 minutes, stir occasionally. Be careful because the sauce will splatter.
  4. Taste test and add more seasoning or sugar if necessary. When adding sugar use 1/2 tablespoon at a time, stir thoroughly, and taste again before adding more. 
  5. Serve over spaghetti or your favorite pasta. 
  6. Great leftover!