Monday, January 13, 2014

Red Pepper Sauce

I got this recipe from my roommate a few years ago, before I even thought about vegan cooking. I tried it with chicken or other add-ins and discovered it really doesn't need anything, it's delicious and filling on its own. This is my go-to example of a full meal that doesn't need meat.


This is one of my favorite foods because it combines two ingredients I absolutely love: pasta and red bell peppers. It's a variation of classic marinara sauce. The intense red pepper flavor comes from using two types of peppers. Fresh red peppers add texture and canned roasted red peppers add depth to the flavor.

My boyfriend likes a smooth sauce, so I use an immersion blender. Because I'm blending the sauce, I chop the vegetables in large, uneven pieces. If you are not blending, you can chop them for your desired texture. I recommend thin, julienne slices. Saute until the peppers are soft and the onions start to caramelize. It's ok if there is excess liquid.




Next, add the tomatoes and roasted red peppers. If you are not blending, chop the roasted red peppers as finely as possible. At this point I blend the sauce because I don't like the idea of putting my immersion blender in boiling liquid.




Simmer for at least a half hour, I usually do around 45 minutes. The longer the better, because the flavors develop and get sweeter the longer they are cooked. This is especially important if you are using cheap canned tomatoes like me. Stir occasionally, and be careful because it will be very splattery.

You can use whatever spices or herbs you like for Italian food. I used garlic powder, oregano, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper because I put that on almost everything. I don't know where that came from, but it works for me as an all purpose seasoning mix. I also used red pepper flakes here because I like this dish spicy.

The sauce will be very thick, if you want to thin it out you can add some water from the pasta.

Serve with your favorite pasta shape. Shapes with lines are best because they will hold onto more of the  thick sauce. I used to use Barilla Cellentani, but then this happened so I don't want to buy Barilla anymore. I haven't found a replacement yet, so I used penne.






Ingredients
  • 2 red bell peppers
  • 1 yellow or sweet onion
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes (whole tomatoes would also work if blending)
  • 1/2 jar roasted red peppers
  • salt and pepper
  • Italian seasoning (I used oregano, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. Your favorite Italian seasoning or fresh herbs would also work)
  • Red pepper flakes (optional)

Directions
  1. Add chopped peppers, onions, and garlic to pot with enough oil to cover the bottom. Add salt. Saute until the onions being to caramelize, about 10 minutes. 
  2. Add tomatoes and roasted red peppers. If you want a smooth sauce, you can blend it now. 
  3. Add seasonings and simmer for at least 30 minutes, the longer the better. Stir occassionally.
  4. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
  5. Serve over pasta.