Saturday, November 29, 2014

Product Review: Trader Joe's Meatless Meatballs

Shown with Vegetable Marinara Sauce
Spaghetti is one of my favorite foods. Since I grew up eating it with ground beef, I am always looking for ways to make it vegan. I thought vegan meatballs would be a good way to go and so I tried Trader Joe's Meatless Meatballs. 


These are made from Texturized Soy Protein


I really wanted to like these. They didn't look weird...


But when I took a bite I was overwhelmed by the mushy texture. It might have tasted good, but I couldn't tell because I was so put off by how gross the texture was. 
I waited a little bit and tried another bite thinking, "It couldn't have been that bad." And yes, it was that bad. I couldn't finish one meatball. 



Review: Trader Joe's Meatless Meatballs

First impressions: When cooking: "looks good and smells good." After first bite: "omg gross." 
Taste: Honestly, I can't give an accurate taste description because I couldn't get past the texture. 
Texture: Disgustingly soft and mushy. I couldn't finish a whole one. 
Does it look like the picture on the package? Yes.
Can you tell it's vegan? Absolutely. 
Worth buying again? No. 
Overall: 1 out of 5. If you are not texture sensitive and don't mind the mushiness of some veggie burgers, then you might like these better.